Supercharge Your BI Deployment with KPIs

Key performance indicators are often a vital piece of effective BI deployments. This video shows some of the most common types of KPI's and how Tableau can support and combine them to create effective, consumable reports.

With the massive amounts of data that are available in modern BI deployments, the most daunting challenge can often be separating vital insights from the data deluge. Setting and measuring key performance indicators allows data consumers to quickly evaluate the most important metrics in their data stream.

When multiple KPIs from disparate systems can be combined in an interactive dashboard, it is even easier to gain vital insight, allowing business decisions to be made faster.

Comments

#1

Submitted by Steven K. on

Hi Ross - is there any way we can download this workbook to see how the visual was constructed?
Regards
Steven

#2

Submitted by Robert S. on

Ditto.. I would like to be able to see how this visual is constructed. RS

#3

Submitted by Brandon Smith (not verified) on

As with Steven and R.Sinclair I would definitely like to see the 'nuts and bolts' behind this one especially the "Select Step" section of the cycle time dashboard. Anyone have a similar one that was created in 'Public' ?

#4

Submitted by Michael N. on

Is this available anywhere???

#5

Submitted by Ryan123 (not verified) on

I would love to see the "behind the scenes" of this viz as well. I'm very interested in how I can display KPIs using Tableau!

#6

Submitted by Andy K. on

You can get the CPG KPIs workbook from this link:

#7

Submitted by Nathaniel F. on

The thing I found when setting up my own KPI scorecards (I did look at the CPG viz) is that your data preperation needs are greater than some of the other vizzes. In essence you need to have more done/setup before brining data into Tableau than a lot of the demos might suggest. A lot of examples focus on data from the Coffee store with further focus on time based comparisons - often of Sales and Profit.

The primary issue and most time consuming part of my implementation was some pre-calculation in order to create the tabular style comparison view that Tableau does. The Tableau part was quite straightforward once that's done. If you look at the CPG example linked above it'll give you a good basis for setting up for a scorecard though.

- Nathaniel