Droid Does Tableau Mobile

By Ellie Fields July 2, 2012
Since we launched Tableau Mobile with a native iPad app last summer, customers have gotten cozy with their data. They've taken it into meetings, operations centers, and on the road with them. But there was one problem: every time we showed customers the app, we were asked, "What about Android?"

Now it's here. Tableau has a new native Android app, as well as touch-optimized controls on visualizations viewed in the Android browser.

Tableau for the Android is similar to Tableau for the iPad. In the native apps, on the Android browser and in mobile Safari you will see touch-enabled controls when browsing Tableau Server:

• Filtering
  • Sorting
  • Scrolling within long filters and views
  • Pinch & zoom functionality

And when you download the native Android app (just like in the iPad app) you also get touch-enabled content management to find your favorite content, search through visualizations and browse your projects.

Security is still handled by Tableau Server, so a lost device simply means changing your Tableau Server password to protect your content. No data is stored on the device, except some metadata like project names. Read more about Tableau Mobile.

Data on a tablet "breaks the mold"

Today we're announcing that the droid has arrived. InterWorks is a consulting company who armed all its people with the beta version of the native Android app. James Wright at InterWorks said that showing customers data on a tablet "breaks the mold" and engages people in the data in that moment, not back at their desk.

We've seen customers using our iPad app for sales teams, hospital staff, executives and in other scenarios. We expect even more customers to take advantage of mobile business intelligence now that Tableau is available for the Android.

What's it take?

• Android Os 3.2 and higher
  • Tableau Server 7.0.6, available today
  • The desire to get up from your desk and go mobile

In honor of this release we put together this shopping comparison for Android tablets with data from AndroidAuthority.com:

Release the Droid.

By Ellie Fields

Comments

Submitted by Brian Bickell (not verified) on

Congratulations on the Android release!

Submitted by Ian W. on

Excellent. I ordered my Nexus 7 last week and just need to coerce my company to let me pilot Tableau Server now. That's the hard part!

Submitted by Dan Murray (not verified) on

Wahoo!

Submitted by andoid user (not verified) on

Can someone post the link to the app on the marketplace? I cannot find it

Here's the link to the app on the Google Play Store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Tableau.TableauApp

@Ian - let me know when you get the Nexus. we just got one today (it's an amazing device). I'm seeing some different behaviors with the Nexus than the other 7" tablets that we're testing with. Would love to hear your experience (good or bad)

Submitted by Budy S. on

When I access the google store, I can't find TableauApp on Indonesia region. When the app available for other regions?

Search for "Tableau Mobile". you will need an Android device running Android 3.2 and above as well as a screen with a high resolution.

Submitted by Matt S. on

FYI In the Viz, the details for the Motorola Xoom tablet state that it runs Honeycomb. It has already been upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich and has been announced that it will be receiving Jelly Bean very soon. Jelly Bean brings big-time speed improvements to swiping and other screen-loading tasks so it should be a great fit for Tableau mobile. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Submitted by Ellie F. on

Great, thanks for the update Matt.

Submitted by dad (not verified) on

Thanks for the post..

Submitted by Mycon (not verified) on

I think many mobile app development companies are doing the same with IPad and other market place.

Submitted by CGLeBel (not verified) on

Hi there, I'm trying to transfer some apps over to my Android phone, yours is one of them, but Android market says your app is incompatible with my Samsung Galaxy S2. I'm currently running on Jelly Bean 4.0.3. Could I get support to help me go around this?

P.S. I couldnt find it either while searching on Android Market, and I suspect this is because the market labels it as incompatible. Thanks to Francois Ajenstat, I could pass the market filter, but am still enable to download. ):

I think that the problem is the resolution. The S2 has a lower resolution than we'd like so the play market blocks it right now. We may change that in the near future but need to do a bit more testing to make sure that things work properly.

Submitted by CGLeBel (not verified) on

Hi Francois,
thank you for letting me know, I'll be getting a new phone in a month or two and I will come back to let you know if the new Galaxy Note II is compatible with your app. In the mean time, I would be happy to provide you with some of my time for testing, charlesgerardlebel@gmail.com

Submitted by Jedi T Knight (not verified) on

Hi

Author once, for both web and mobile (via HTML5)? Or are you using native mobile?

Nick

Submitted by Budy S. on

Hi Francois,
I search "Tableau" or "Tableau Mobile" on GooglePlay, but I can't found one. My device registered at Indonesia. But one of my friend that has registered the device at US, can found that. Please check it.

Submitted by Francois A. on

Hi @Budy - it might be related to the screen size or your Android version. we require Android 3.2 and above.

@Jedi - anything that you publish to Tableau Server can be consumed via web, mobile browser and mobile app.

Submitted by Budy S. on

Hi @Francois, I use Samsung Galaxy Notes with Android 4.0.2 (ICS). But I can't find "Tableau Mobile" or "Tableau Software" on googleplay.
I can post you the screenshot gadget while searching on googleplay. Can you find out why I can't find the app? Or anybody from SEA region already use the app on Android?
Thanks

Submitted by Jennifer C. on

Hey - I have the Nexus and can't seem to log into server...I can via chrome fine...does the app support multiple sites or is there potentially some other secret sauce to get the app to work?

Submitted by Craig D. on

I have an Android Tablet and cannot get my play store working. Does anyone know of an apk file site I can download from?

non-humans click here